Did you know that the oldest ever recorded mattress is estimated to be 77,000 years old? Mattresses have indeed been used for thousands of years in various forms and shapes. The word ‘mattress’ is derived from the Arabic language which means to ‘throw something down’. This is also where the word ‘mat’ comes from. Ancient civilizations constructed mattresses using a myriad of natural materials including feathers, horse hair and straw. Today, mattress technology has become cutting edge. New levels of comfort have been realized; making mattress experiences for sleepers even better.
The types of mattresses you can find online
There are innumerable kinds and types of mattresses to find in the market. Knowing the specifications of various mattress types will help you choose what works for you best. Below is a drill-down of the top kinds.
1. Innerspring mattresses
These are made using a steel coil system for support. Here, springs are intricately connected to form the larger support base. With more coils, the better the quality of the mattress. This technology is considered traditional. Having said this, it is still the most popular type of mattress to many. Innerspring mattresses are some of the most affordable; and this is one of the reasons why they are still popular. Below are other advantages;
– These mattresses are very portable making them easy to transport
– They are readily available in the market
– You can choose the level of firmness as you desire
– When they are beginning to wear, the springs will make a squeaky sound which is unpleasant
– They can do a better job to tackle pressure points and pain
– They are not as durable compared to other types
2. Memory foam mattresses
Foam technology is known for its great comforts by sleepers. …